Friday, July 30, 2010

Mark Rothko @ The National Gallery

Rothko's Black Paintings
National Gallery of Art
February 21, 2010 - January 2, 2011



During my visit to DC I saw the Mark Rothko exhibition in the Tower at the National Gallery East Building. This exhibition featured the late black paintings and a small selection of early works where Rothko incorporated black paint. In the Tower, were 7 large scale black paintings exhibited in a chapel setting. I imagine that this is similar to the Rothko Chapel in Houston, which I hate to say I have never visited.

In a small side gallery adjacent to the Tower were paintings Rothko completed in the 40's. All of this work was new to me. The National Gallery has the largest collection of Rothko works which were donated by the Mark Rothko Foundation.

No comments: