Saturday, March 7, 2009

Gallery Trip to Dallas

Headed to Dallas to catch-up on a couple of exhibitions. First stop was at Conduit to see Robert Jessup's "Creatures" and Johnny Robertson's "Twenty Hong Kong Dollars". Although very different both exhibitions were very successful. Of course, I have always like Johnny Robertson's work and he had a knockout exhibition. Normally not a video fan, I liked the "The Way" which documented Johnny's road trip from his home in Celina, Texas to Los Angeles. I couldn't watch all of the video (30 hours long) but what I did see I enjoyed.


Johnny Robertson, a small work on paper, from Conduit Gallery website.

Robert Jessup, Finger Creature Hat, 2008, oil on canvas, 24x24" from Conduit Gallery Website
Robert Jessup's work was, to me, a total departure from his previous work. His latest work was inspired by his recent sabbatical in Spain.

Next stop was 500X for a sneak preview of Sarah Williams: M.F.A. Thesis Exhibition. I am still thinking about this exhibition. Her subject matter actually seems to be similar to many many other painters and photographers.

500X's large exhibition space upstairs where Sarah's work was installed. That space is problmatic anyway.


Next, I headed over to Dolly Python's - the subject of my next entry.

No comments: