Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Ron Hoover

My close friend Ron Hoover passed away early this morning. An artist that never shied away from matters that was important to him. Ron never followed the mainstream and thus his work was not widely exhibited. His art came directly from his personal experiences, alternative newspapers and public radio. Ron revealed the untold truths behind little known allegations of crime, corruption, and social injustice. I first met Ron in 1995 when Sally Sprout took me to his studio to pickup a painting that I had purchased. Ron was not an easy person to get to know. He was very opinionated, would get in your face, and challenge you to prove him wrong. This came out in his work and one reason his work was so strong. I visited Ron almost every year and sometimes 2 or 3 times a year. In 2002 I started working on an exhibition of Ron’s oil pastels of which he had been creating since 1995. The Arlington Museum agreed to the exhibition of which I am so grateful. Ron was at the opening which was a big success. The following day Ron spoke on Arlington Public Television and I suppose those who watched the program have not forgotten. I last visited Ron in August of this year where he shared with me the numerous watercolors he had been working on. He had completed a new drawing entitled “US” and I am so sorry I did not take a photo.

8 comments:

RR said...

Hi MaryAnn, you uncle was a very talented artist and I was fortunitate to know him and somewhat well. Early last year, I started another blog that we had intended to have contact info and a potential place for those interested in his work could contact Ron. As it turns out I am trying to gather all my notes and numerous converstations, visits, and documention that I have on Ron and post it on this blog http://ronhoover.blogspot.com/ . If you have additional info I would love to have it. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

My mother would have more information on him. He was her older brother. I will send her the link.

Brain cancer is such a horrible way to go. It explains much of his behavior.

Henry said...

I used to know Ron when I was high school and during my college years. I would always join him at his studio for the occasional beer. I had a great deal of affection for the him and considered him a sweet man. I have lived in New York for the past 18 years and I come to Houston once a year during the holidays. This past Christmas I asked a few friends what was happening to Ron Hoover. No one seemed to know or have heard much from him. It saddens me to find out he passed away last month. Could you tell me what happened?
thanks,
Henry G. Sanchez

RR said...

Henry,

About 10 days before passing a close friend of Ron's found him unconscious and he was rushed to the hospital. He was diagnosed with lung cancer that had spread to his brain. I had spoken with Ron about 3 weeks prior to his passing and he told me he had felt a little weak and needed iron pills. He did say that he was ready to start working on some new smaller works on paper.

It seems that once his gallery dealer (Bill Graham) from the 80’s passed away it was difficult for Ron to get the attention he deserved. A couple of other galleries did work with him for short periods since then. Ron never stopped working and at times he would be very prolific. He completed hundreds of oil pastels that are gems, completed numerous drawings of oversized SUV’s which I think only 3 or 4 people have seen, and just a few years ago started working with watercolor and has completed 100 or more watercolors. He has had a few solo exhibitions in the past few years including the Station Museum, Art Car Museum, and the Arlington Museum of Art.

I do miss him and hope that his work is not forgotten.

Anonymous said...

My mother says there will be a memorial service for my uncle next month at the Station. You may contact them for more details.

She says she's going to bring some of his personal items and work.

RR said...

Ariel's wife,

Please have your mom contact me. I would love to hear more about the plans.

Henry said...

Thank you for the information. Im sorry I wont be able to attend the memorial service.

Ill be sure to send the dates, time and place of the services to our mutual friends.

To MaryAnn and "Ariel's wife" please accept my condolences and give my best to the rest of your family. Houston will miss him and his artwork.

cyfscott said...

I am very sorry to hear about Ron's passing. I lived next door to him down on Summer Street back in 1987 and got to know him pretty well, but lost touch. He was a hell of an artist and a fine old fellow.

My regards and condolences to his family,
--Scott A. Gilbert