Monday, March 5, 2012

Part III

My much anticipated 3rd trip and visit to Michael Wynne's studio in Kirvin was again great fun, friendship and successful.  This time hopeful that I would have an opportunity to visit each painting in the Abscess series.  This series continues to challenge me and I need to dig deeper into this body of work.  This series should be seen at large.  Michael and his work is influenced by the pop and minimalist movements from the 50's, 60's and 70's.  As well, he is influenced by pop music from the 60's and 70's, in particular the Rolling Stones (Yellow??).  While looking at these paintings (currently 6 6x4 paintings) I can't help but think these are a direct result of, knowing the environment around Michael's studio, his home town disappearing from the landscape, the Rolling Stones and Robert Rauschenberg.  

 Michael Wynne

 Abscess, 6 x 4 feet

Abscess, 6 x 4 feet


 
 Abscess, 6 x 4 feet (detail)

No comments: