Saturday, February 20, 2010

Benito Huerta: Turning Pages opening

I attended Benito Huerta's opening reception for "Turning Pages" exhibition which was a mini-survey of works on paper. Although, in an opening reception setting the focus is not normally the art but a celebration (in most cases a relief) of the artist and their accomplishment, I was blown away by the work. For me, this work opened my eyes and ensured that I was well aware of Benito's influences in art history, literary works, popular music, and cultural identity. From the earliest dated work "Working Class Numbers" which was heavily influenced by Jasper Johns to the most recent work, my favorite, “Exile Off Main Street” which is a must see. A great exhibition and one that is well worth the trip.


"Exile Off Main Street", 1999-2004
Benito Huerta: Turning Pages
February 8 – March 3, 2010
Forum Gallery
Brookhaven College School of the Arts

No comments: